Protein is an essential part of our diet. An average person who has a sedentary lifestyle, even his/her body requires about 1 gram of protein per kg body weight on a daily basis. For example, if a person who weighs 60 kg and he/she does not workout, even then his/her body requires about 60 grams of protein daily. Protein is very essential for the daily repair of the body, skin health and hair health. Eating enough protein not only helps to build and maintain muscle but it also helps in reducing the junk food cravings. Eating a protein deficient diet may reduce metabolism and energy levels.
Some protein sources are incomplete while others are incomplete. A protein source which has all the 9 essential amino acids viz. histidine,isoleucine,leucin, lysine, methoinine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine is said to be complete. Most vegetarian sources are incomplete. Howevever, there is a way to make vegetarian sources complete which I have discussed in this video.
So, I have identified 10 cheap and best protein rich food sources and have ranked them solely on the basis of cost effectiveness. You will be surprised to know that there are a few protein rich foods from which you can get 25 grams of protein in just 10 rupees. How great is that?
Ten Cheapest Sources of Protein
- Tofu : Tofu 100g contain 8 grams protein
- Fish : Fish 100g contain 22 grams protein
- Paneer : Paneer 100g contain 18.3 grams protein
- Chicken Breast : Chicken breast 100g contains 31 grams protein
- Legumes : Legumes 100g contains 5g grams protein
- Milk : Milk breast 100g contains 3.4 grams protein
- Egg Whites : Egg White contains 11 grams protein
- Peanuts : Penauts 100 grams contains 26 grams protein
- Lentils : Lentils 100 grams contains 9 grams protein
- Whey Protein
- Soy Chunks : Soy Chunks 100 grams contains 54.2 grams protein