newsdog Facebook

Qazigund: Ultra toll 3; two were part of yatra attack

The Tribune 2017-12-06 00:42:48
Fourth militant who fled encounter site arrested from a hospital in Anantnag
Soldiers with armed vehicles at the encounter site in Qazigund on Tuesday. Tribune Photo: Amin War

One more body of a local militant was retrieved late Monday night from the debris of the encounter site in the Qazigund area of Anantnag district, taking the number of ultras killed in the gunfight to three. One soldier was killed in the encounter. The slain militants have been identified as Yawar Bashir Wani of Hablish, Kulgam, and two Pakistani nationals Furqan and Abu Maviya. Inspector General of Police Munir Khan has said that two out of three slain militants were involved in the attack on Amarnath yatris on July 10. “Yawar Bashir and Abu Maviya were physically involved in the attack on Amarnath yatris,” the IGP said, adding that Abu Ismail, the mastermind of the attack, was neutralised on September 14. The encounter was triggered by an attack by militants on an Army convoy. Clashes had also erupted during the encounter, wherein two civilians were left injured. The IGP said one of the four militants, who carried out the yatra attack, is still at large. “His name is Shakoor Dar, a local. Hopefully, he will be neutralised soon,” Munir said. Terming the operation in Qazigund well coordinated, the IGP said a fourth accomplice of the militants was arrested along with arms and ammunition. A police spokesperson, giving details, said that an accomplice of the militants who got injured during the attack had managed to flee and reach a hospital in Anantnag town. “He was followed based on tip-offs and was held from the Maternity and Children Hospital in the Sherbagh area of Anantnag,” the spokesperson said. He identified the fourth militant as Rashid Allie of Bijbehara in Anantnag. “A Chinese pistol and live ammunition was recovered from him. He had been missing from his home since the last two days and had joined the LeT ranks,” the spokesperson said. The body of the local militant Yawar Bashir was handed over to his kin on Tuesday morning following which thousands of people turned up for the funeral prayers held in his native village. After the funeral prayers, clashes erupted in several areas around the militant’s village and near the site of the encounter along the Srinagar-Jammu national highway. Traffic on the national highway had to be diverted for a few hours due to the clashes. Train services on the Srinagar-Banihal stretch remained suspended today. One yatra attacker still at large   
  • Inspector General of Police Munir Khan has said two of the three militants who were killed in the Qazigund encounter had been involved in the attack on Amarnath yatris on July 10
  • Four militants had carried out the Amarnath yatra attack. Abu Ismail, the mastermind, was neutralised on September 14 while Yawar Bashir and Abu Maviya were gunned down on Monday
  • The fourth militant involved in the yatra attack is still at large. "His name is Shakoor Dar, a local. Hopefully, he will be neutralised soon," the IGP said

CM pitches for release of political prisoners